Thursday, January 10, 2013

Staring at a blank page...

Who reads these things? What do I do with a blog?  Great questions as I have never done this thing before. Aren't blogs for whiny people?  People who have to gripe about life and have no outlet?  I really have no complaints.

One of my friends told me

 "Yet another consideration. Blogs are typically for people who don't really have a life outside of what other people think of them. Lack of a job and a real social life tend to lead to blogging.


I am now reluctant to start this and keep it moving because I will be working 40 hours a week and taking 18 credits this semester.  Things will be busy but at least I will have something to write about. I should be packed full of blog posts this semester. I was having trouble deciding what I would write about.  I decided to write about whatever I felt like writing about.  Some days it will be school things.  Maybe I will pose questions just to see who actually reads this. 

Today's post will be something that interests me quite a bit.  Though the idea is out there I find it pretty amazing.  I have found, and will continue to research off the grid homes.  These houses are completely self sufficient.  Water, electricity, heating, and cooling are all taken care of in one particular type of house.  This type of house was made by a company called Earthship.

Earthship homes are normally built out of old tires and other recyclable materials.  Everything in these homes for the most part is recycled if it can be.  Solar panels and battery banks provide the electricity and rain provides the water once filtered.  I first saw this on HGTV's Extreme Homes.  The woman said she used her water 4 times.  After the 3rd time it ended up as black water to be used in her garden.  I would probably have to say that these homes would not work in some climates but it is a pretty sound idea for some areas.  

The one part that I did like was the "Retrofitting" part of the website.  People could take some of the ideas and apply them to their homes no matter where they are located.  This would help reduce energy costs and help people be more self sufficient.   If a house could stand alone off the grid just think at how little electricity or natural gas you would use to heat your home if it was still connected.  I think that people could save a lot of money this way.  Maybe not going so extreme as to go off the grid, but just use some ideas to help the environment and yourselves.

Here is a link to the "Retrofitting" page.Dear God... I am turning into an environmentalist...




2 comments:

  1. This is a good start. But 1) I don't see any pictures. 2) I would add an "About Me" section 3) The friend who quoted you, I want to punch.

    Welcome to the blogging world. I hope you stick around.

    ReplyDelete